Hey guys! I had a lot of questions about the carrot dogs at the potluck so I decided to share the recipe. I added some notes (in bold) with my personal preferred way of cooking them but you can use whatever method you want. Glad everyone liked them!!
- 8-10 organic carrots (Preferably UGArden carrots!!)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 Tablespoons liquid smoke
- ¼ cup Bragg’s Aminos or Tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable, not-chicken broth, or water
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (honey or brown sugar also works)
- Peel the carrots, shaping them with peeler to an even roundness. Trim the ends to fit your buns in length.
- Place about 2 cups of water in a skillet and heat to boiling; add carrots and cover, simmer along for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are fork tender. Do not overcook! (I personally just put the carrots in a large pot of boiling water and boil like pasta)
- While carrots are cooking, prepare your marinade by combining ingredients into a small bowl.
- When carrots have cooked sufficiently, immediately pour contents of pot into a colander and drain, then run cold water over carrots to stop the cooking process.
- Place carrots in an air-tight container large enough for all the carrots to lay flat (a zip style plastic freezer bag also works well). Place in refrigerator and allow carrots to marinate for 6-24 hours.
- Place carrots and a few tablespoons of marinade in a hot non-stick skillet, and cook, allowing marinade to caramelize the carrots and create a nice brown exterior coating.
- If you prefer, you can bake the carrot dogs in their marinade for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees, turning halfway through to brown evenly (This is the best way i’ve found). OR you can grill them over low coals.
- Serve with your favorite sides and toppings
Originally from BlacksGoingVegan.com- http://blacksgoingvegan.com/the-best-vegan-carrot-dog-recipe-ever/